We present to you Professor William W. Hay with whom we went on a marine expedition, to show us some of the phenomena connected to our study of the scientific miracles in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Professor Hay is one of the best known marine scientists in the United States. We asked him many questions about the marine surface, the divider between the upper and the lower sea, and about ocean floor and marine geology. We also asked Professor Hay about the mixed-water partitions between the different seas and fresh water rivers. He was kind enough to answer all of our questions in great detail.

With regard to the partitions between the different seas, he explained that these bodies of water are not one homogeneous sea as it appears to us. Rather they are different seas, distinguished by varying degrees of salinity, temperature and density. In this slide, Figure 8-1 [ not shown here -Web. Ed.], here the white lines represent partitions between two different seas. Each partition divides two seas that differ in temperature, salinity, density, marine biology and oxygen dissolubility. Scientists first had this picture, as you see it, in 1942 after hundreds of marine research stations were set up. Here we see the divider between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic ocean, Figure 8-2. In the middle of this photo [ not shown here -Web. Ed.] we see a colored triangle, this is the base of the rock of Gibraltar. We can observe a colored partition between the two bodies of water, although the naked human eye cannot perceive it in nature. This has become possible by means of satellite photography and remote-sensing techniques.

This photograph here [ not shown here -Web. Ed.] was taken by a satellite utilizing the special thermal characteristics of the various water bodies, Figure 8-3 [ exact photo not shown here -Web. Ed.], and it is for this reason that the seas show up with different colors. For example, we here see light blue, dark blue and black. Other bodies of water show a greenish color. The different colors represent the difference in temperatures of the sea surface. However, as well all know, these oceans and seas will simply appear as blue in color to our eyes. These are partitions that can only be seen and perceived by scientific research and modern technology. Allah has informed us in the Qur’aan that:

He has let free (maraja) the two seas meeting together: Between them is a barrier which they do not transgress. (Qur’aan 55:19-20).

Traditionally, there have been two major interpretations of this verse. One opinion states that according to the literal meaning of the term “maraja” seas do meet and mix with each other. But the fact the Qur’aan goes on to state that there is barrier between them, means that this barrier will simply prevent the seas from encroaching upon each other or flooding over each other.

Proponents of the second opinion ask how can there be a barrier between the seas so that they do not encroach upon each other, while the verse indicates that the seas meet together? They concluded that the seas do not meet and sought another meaning for the term “maraja”. But now modern science provides us with enough information to settle this issue. The seas do meet together, as we have seen, for example, in the picture of the Mediterranean and Atlantic Ocean. Even though there is a slanted water barrier between them, we now know that through this barrier the water from each sea passes to the other. But when we the water from one sea enters the other sea, it looses its distinctive characteristics and becomes homogenized with the other water. In a way, this barrier serves as a transitional homogenizing area for the two waters. This is an excellent example of Islamic modern scientific research. Modern techniques can thus be used to prove the inimitability of the Qur’aan.

We discussed this verse and several other verses at great length with Professor Hay, and then we asked him the following question: ‘What is your opinion of this phenomenon, namely, that you have in your possession now texts which have been revealed 1400 years ago, and which described in minute detail secrets of the universe which no man at that time could ever have known, simply because the techniques and the equipment were not available?’.

Professor Hay replied: I find it very interesting that this sort of information is in the ancient scripture of the Holy Qur’aan, and I have no way of knowing where they would come from, but I think it is extremely interesting that they are there and that this work is going on to discover it, the meaning of some of the passages.

He was asked: “Then you have flatly denied it to be just from a human source. Whom do you think is the original source of such information?”

Professor Hay: Well, I would think it must be the divine being!

Truly this is divine knowledge which Allah sent in order to support the Message of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) who said:

Each Prophet has been given something to make his people believe in him. But I have been given a Revelation from Allah, and I hope that I will have the greatest number of followers on the Day of Judgement.

This Revelation contains its own miracle and stands as a proof for humanity until the Last Hour.