New Muslims: How to Feel Welcomed in the Mosque

(Practical Ideas)

For new Muslims, experiences in the masjid run the gambit.
My first introduction to a mosque was an optimal.
I was welcomed with open arms, taught all I needed to know as a new Muslim and given enough personal space as to not feel suffocated.

I was not the first convert to cross their path. They were old hats at the task of welcoming newcomers by the time I arrived.
Unfortunately this kind of introduction to the mosque is rare for new Muslims. I discovered this as I moved around and sought mosques in all places that I traveled. I remember at times feeling very isolated and even bullied. Other times, in varying mosques, I felt out of my depth with the amount of usually unintelligible information I was given.

For new Muslims, experiences in the masjid run the gambit.
My first introduction to a mosque was an optimal.
I was welcomed with open arms, taught all I needed to know as a new Muslim and given enough personal space as to not feel suffocated.

I was not the first convert to cross their path. They were old hats at the task of welcoming newcomers by the time I arrived.
Unfortunately this kind of introduction to the mosque is rare for new Muslims. I discovered this as I moved around and sought mosques in all places that I traveled. I remember at times feeling very isolated and even bullied. Other times, in varying mosques, I felt out of my depth with the amount of usually unintelligible information I was given.

Ask the Imam

In my first community as a new Muslim, the imam (leader) was quick to help me with anything I needed. Even if I didn’t ask, he would ask around about how I was doing. He was an example of what a good imam should be. The imam of the mosque is there as a resource for his community. Use this resource.

If you are not introduced to the Imam of your mosque, contact him and explain that you are a new Muslim and as you grow in Islam you will need guidance and help. Ask the Imam if there are any programs for new Muslims at the mosque or in the area. Ask him if there are lectures at the mosque that you could attend. Ask if he can recommend someone to mentor you as you learn. And see if he will go to that person and propose the mentorship.
If he cannot help you, politely ask him if he knows anyone who can point you in the right direction.

Volunteer

During one of my very first Ramadans, I made an effort to attend as many iftars(the meal to break the fast) that the mosque held. After the eating was done there was always a large pile of dishes. In an attempt to get extra good deeds (and to avoid small talk–not my favorite thing), I would rush to wash the dishes. Everyone was so grateful and sweet to me for doing such a small thing. And I realized that volunteering was a great way to ingratiate myself in the community.
Many mosques need help in many different ways. Offer your assistance. Clean the mosque before Friday prayer if you have the free time. Offer to watch the children during a lecture so that they do not disturb the congregation, if you have the patience. Help with the masjid’s website or social media campaigns, if you have programming, design or PR experience.
Whatever your talents or capabilities offer them to the mosque. You will be rewarded greatly and you will become a pillar of the community. But when you go to someone at the mosque to offer assistance, mention your intentions to do good, help out and become a part of the community. This will insure that no one will take offense to your offer, thinking that you are only looking at the flaws or inadequacies of the mosque.

Go Often, Smile and Shake Hands

Going to a new place and meeting new people is never easy. For me it was an extreme challenge. I am naturally an extremely introverted. Against my own natural inclination to hide in the corner, I forced myself to go to the mosque, smile, shake hands with people and ask them about themselves. After doing this a few times in each mosque, something strange happened. The unfamiliar and uncomfortable became familiar and relaxed. And I even became more outgoing.
You are only a newcomer for a little while. This will pass. Keep going. Keep smiling. Keep shaking hands. Keep talking to people and you will soon see that people are happy to see you and you will become a part of your new community.
Get a Translator
Much of what is said in the mosque is peppered with Urdu or Arabic. This was very frustrating for me as a new Muslim trying to absorb all I could. I constantly felt like I was missing out on the most important parts of lectures and khutbahs (the sermon at Friday prayer). I eventually caught up, but I wish I had asked someone to translate for me.
Don’t be shy to ask someone in the mosque to be your translator. It can be a struggle to find value in learning when you can’t even understand what is being said. Take matters into your own hands.
Many people will be eager to help out with the language barrier. If the person you ask is not receptive to the task, don’t be offended or deterred, perhaps they do not feel secure in their English. And you can always ask them if they recommend someone who can help you. If all else fails, Google translate words and phrases you do not understand.
First impression in the mosque may not be the best for new Muslims, but do not let first impressions turn you away.
Persist.
Claim your place in your mosque. Claim your place in your new community. Find Muslims to befriend, get involved, ingratiate yourself.
Your efforts will not be in vain.