A Comparison of Prophethood in the Qur’an and Bible.

آخـــر الـــمـــشـــاركــــات

مـواقـع شـقــيـقـة
شبكة الفرقان الإسلامية شبكة سبيل الإسلام شبكة كلمة سواء الدعوية منتديات حراس العقيدة
البشارة الإسلامية منتديات طريق الإيمان منتدى التوحيد مكتبة المهتدون
موقع الشيخ احمد ديدات تليفزيون الحقيقة شبكة برسوميات شبكة المسيح كلمة الله
غرفة الحوار الإسلامي المسيحي مكافح الشبهات شبكة الحقيقة الإسلامية موقع بشارة المسيح
شبكة البهائية فى الميزان شبكة الأحمدية فى الميزان مركز براهين شبكة ضد الإلحاد

يرجى عدم تناول موضوعات سياسية حتى لا تتعرض العضوية للحظر

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Comparison of Prophethood in the Qur’an and Bible.

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At
    12:49 AM

Default A Comparison of Prophethood in the Qur’an and Bible.

3Prophethood is a concept that is common to all three Abrahamic faiths with the Prophets playing a crucial role in God’s plan for mankind. A significant chunk of both the Qur’an and Bible is dedicated to the Prophets so their stories warrant special attention. This article will discuss the nature of Prophethood and
    contrast its portrayal in the Qur’an and Bible.

NATURE OF PROPHETHOOD

Throughout the Qur’an Prophethood is described in extremely noble terms:
    …Allah sent the prophets as bringers of good tidings and warners and sent down with them the Scripture in truth to judge between the people concerning that in which they differed. [Chapter, 2, verse 213]

And whoever obeys Allah and the Messenger – those will be with the ones upon whom Allah has bestowed favour of the prophets, the steadfast affirmers of truth, the martyrs and the righteous. And excellent are those as companions. [Chapter 4, verse 69]

Likewise the Bible also describes Prophethood in highly noble terms:

“…Have faith in the Lord your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful.” [2 Chronicles 20:20]

“Although the Lord sent prophets to the people to bring them back to him, and though they testified against them, they would not listen.” [2 Chronicles 24:19]

PURPOSE OF SENDING PROPHETS

Out of His love and mercy for mankind God did not leave us without guidance. In order to bring us closer to Him, God selected certain human beings to act as Prophets. From the above passages we can conclude that both the Qur’an and Bible define Prophets as those who were sent as teachers and guides in order to bring mankind closer to God.

As we have seen, both the Qur’an and Bible paint a very noble and honourable picture for the concept of Prophethood. So we should expect God’s Prophets to embody these ideals by being the best people in character, with their behaviour and lives representing a practical example for us to follow in order to come closer to God. This makes perfect sense in order to fulfil the goals and objectives of Prophethood as it is defined in both Scriptures
    COMPARISON BETWEEN THE QUR’AN AND BIBLE

There is a lot of overlap between both Scriptures when it comes to the stories of the Prophets, with many events and themes being shared. Unfortunately when it comes to the character of the Prophets, the Scriptures are radically different. We will now look at some examples of specific Prophets in both the Qur’an and Bible and compare them:Prophet Aaron and idolatry

The Bible says:
    So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” [Exodus 32:3-4]
    The Qur’an says:
    And Aaron had already told them before [the return of Moses], “O my people, you are only being tested by it, and indeed, your Lord is the Most Merciful, so follow me and obey my order.” They said, “We will never cease being devoted to the calf until Moses returns to us.” [Chapter 20, verses 90-91]
    The Bible tarnishes Aaron with involvement in the worst of sins, idolatry. This is a violation of the First Commandment, “You shall have no other gods before me”, the very Law that God tasked Moses and Aaron to impart on the Israelites. Contrast this with the Qur’an, which outright rejects these claims by stating that Aaron is innocent of such slander.Prophet David and adultery and murder

The Bible says:
    One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, “Isn’t this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her. (She had purified herself from her uncleanness.) Then she went back home. The woman conceived and sent word to David, saying, “I am pregnant.”… In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. In it he wrote, “Put Uriah in the front line where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”… When Uriah’s wife heard that her husband was dead, she mourned for him. [2 Samuel 11:2-26]
    The Qur’an says:
    And We had certainly given to David and Solomon knowledge, and they said, “Praise [is due] to Allah, who has favored us over many of His believing servants.” [Chapter 27, verse 15]And We strengthened his kingdom and gave him wisdom and discernment in speech. [Chapter 38, verse 20]
    Last edited by فداء الرسول; 13-06-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    نقره لتكبير أو تصغير الصورة ونقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة بحجمها الطبيعي

تحمَّلتُ وحديَ مـا لا أُطيـقْ من الإغترابِ وهَـمِّ الطريـقْ
    اللهم اني اسالك في هذه الساعة ان كانت جوليان في سرور فزدها في سرورها ومن نعيمك عليها . وان كانت جوليان في عذاب فنجها من عذابك وانت الغني الحميد برحمتك يا ارحم الراحمين

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At

The Bible tarnishes David with involvement in the major sins of adultery and murder. This is a violation of at least three Commandments, “Thou shalt not kill”, “Thou shalt not commit adultery” and “Thou shall not covet your neighbor’s wife”. Contrast this with the Qur’an, where David is portrayed as a being endowed by God with wisdom and being grateful to God for all that he was given. It is therefore inconceivable that one whom God had personally endowed with wisdom and given the responsibility of ruling a kingdom could be so selfish and enslaved to their lowly desires.

An even bigger issue emerges if we consider that the very law that David was supposed to uphold carries the death penalty for adultery:
    If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. [Deuteronomy 22:22]
    So, why weren’tt David and the wife of Uriah put to death for their sin? The chapter later goes on to tell us that instead of them being put to death, God killed their illegitimate child, a child that was completely innocent!
    Prophet Noah and drunkenness
    The Bible says:
    Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father’s nakedness and told his two brothers outside… [Genesis 9:20-22]
    The Qur’an says:
    Indeed, Allah chose Adam and Noah and the family of Abraham and the family of ‘Imran over the worlds [Chapter 3, verse 33]
    O descendants of those We carried [in the ship] with Noah. Indeed, he was a grateful servant. [Chapter 17, verse 3]
    After the great flood, the Bible tells us that the first thing Noah did was to get shamelessly drunk. We are led to believe that this is the same person that had the self discipline to build an ark as well as the patience to preach to his people and tolerate their rebellion for hundreds of years.
    Prophet Job and his many blasphemies
    The Bible says:
    I will say to God: Do not condemn me, but tell me what charges you have against me. Does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands, while you smile on the schemes of the wicked? [Job 10:2-3]
    then know that God has wronged me and drawn his net around me. “Though I cry, ‘I’ve been wronged!’ I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice. [Job 19:6-7]
    For he [Job] says, ‘It profits a man nothing when he tries to please God.’ [Job 34:9]
    Qur’an says:
    And remember Our servant Job, when he called to his Lord, “Indeed, Satan has touched me with hardship and torment.” [So he was told], “Strike [the ground] with your foot; this is a [spring for] a cool bath and drink.” And We granted him his family and a like [number] with them as mercy from Us and a reminder for those of understanding. [We said], “And take in your hand a bunch [of grass] and strike with it and do not break your oath.” Indeed, We found him patient, an excellent servant. Indeed, he was one repeatedly turning back [to Allah]. [Chapter 38, verses 41-44]
    Look at the virtuous character of Job in the Qur’an, he never once blames or criticises God for his difficulties. We learn a great lesson from his story, that no matter what trials we face or affliction we are tested with, we should always remain patient, for in the end the righteous are rewarded. When we look at the Biblical account, what morals can be derived from a story that is filled with blasphemies against God?

WHY THE BIBLE REPRESENTS A PROBLEM

There are numerous reasons why the negative picture of the Prophets painted by the Bible is problematic:

First and foremost, it goes against the very nature and purpose of Prophethood as stated in the Bible itself. Not even the essence of revelation, monotheism, is respected by the Prophets. So God comes across as a poor planner rather than the infinitely wise being that we know Him to be.
    As human beings we learn by example and naturally aspire after role models, so in order to encourage piety the examples set before us should be positive. Anyone with children will recognise this. So this makes a mockery of God’s wisdom, since His intention is to bring us closer to Him but the bad examples of His Prophets achieve the opposite of what God intended.

Phenomenon of “junk in, junk out”: if you are saturated with negative imagery and ideas, over time you will become desensitised and be more likely to fall into sin yourself. Again, this defeats the purpose of guidance in the first place, as it leads a person closer to sin and further away from God.
    Please note that this does not mean that Prophets are supposed to be infallible. Only God Almighty is perfect and free of error. A distinction has to be made, though, between making honest mistakes, which all human beings fall into, Prophets included, and the committing of major sins as portrayed in the Bible.

CONCLUSION
    Both the Qur’an and Bible paint a very noble and honourable concept of Prophethood. However it’s only the Qur’an that presents the Prophets in such a way that satisfies this ideal. In contrast the Bible shows the Prophets in an extremely negative light. No sin is too great for them to commit, nor is any vice beyond their lowly desires.
    One of the reasons that Allah revealed the Qur’an is to defend His righteous Prophets against the slander and falsehood attributed to them in the Bible. This is why one of the names of the Qur’an is Al Furqan, meaning “the Criterion between truth and falsehood”. So the Qur’an not only confirms the scriptures that came before it, but also corrects the fabrications that have polluted them:
    “And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth…” [Chapter 5, verse 48]
    It is clear that the Qur’an provides the best guidance for those who want good examples to follow in order to be successful in the hereafter.

http://manyprophetsonemessage.com/

اللهم اني اسالك في هذه الساعة ان كانت جوليان في سرور فزدها في سرورها ومن نعيمك عليها . وان كانت جوليان في عذاب فنجها من عذابك وانت الغني الحميد برحمتك يا ارحم الراحمين

Religion
    Christianity
    Last Activity
    08-12-2014
    At
    06:22 PM

You see the view of Prophets in Islam as being all truly pious, almost faultless and even possibly sinless as somehow a good thing. I see the opposite, and putting Prophets upon pedestals and holding them up as sinless examples sells you short. I believe seeing prophets this way is unrealistic and leads to a misunderstanding of the nature of sin and the effect of sin upon God. If we see ordinary men and women..as sinless... Then what need have we for God in our life? Where does that leave your faith? If these men can be sinless then why not you.. By your own efforts? Dangerous idea that!!!

( BTW.. Do you recognise any female Prophets in the Quran? No?? Why not.. Seeing as women are valued greater in the Quran than the Bible...)

Peace.

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At

( BTW.. Do you recognise any female Prophets in the Quran? No?? Why not.. Seeing as women are valued greater in the Quran than the Bible...)
    All the apostles Men

All the apostles are infallible

Not all men, but infallible apostles

God created human beings and gave each one of his job

Can you ask why a man does not beget children

Religion
    Christianity
    Last Activity
    08-12-2014
    At

Quote Originally Posted by شمائل View Post
    All the apostles Men

All the apostles are infallible

Not all men, but infallible apostles

God created human beings and gave each one of his job

Can you ask why a man does not beget children
    The Bible names at least 10 women prophetesses there were also other women who received messages from God that were considered seers.. God does not distinguish between men and women when it comes to receiving His message.

Why do you think Allah did not include at least one of the biblical prophetesses in the Quran? Seeing as you say Allah gave more rights to women in the Quran than they had in the Bible.

As you know, we do not see Prophets or apostles in the Bible as infallible... And there is reason for that.

God decreed roles for both men and women that were suited to their natures..so as to compliment each other and work together in unity to Gods will. God chooses those to relay His message to mankind according to whom He sees as most suitable.. YHWH values man and woman as equals in regards to this task.. Hence women Prophetesses.

Peace

Religion
    Christianity
    Last Activity
    11-11-2014
    At
    06:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    You see the view of Prophets in Islam as being all truly pious, almost faultless and even possibly sinless as somehow a good thing. I see the opposite, and putting Prophets upon pedestals and holding them up as sinless examples sells you short. I believe seeing prophets this way is unrealistic and leads to a misunderstanding of the nature of sin and the effect of sin upon God. If we see ordinary men and women..as sinless... Then what need have we for God in our life? Where does that leave your faith? If these men can be sinless then why not you.. By your own efforts? Dangerous idea that!!!

Peace.

Post deleted, for a foul Forum Rules
    Last edited by فداء الرسول; 14-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Religion
    Christianity
    Last Activity
    11-11-2014
    At
    06:53 PM

Prophets to Muslims according to the Quran are perfect human beings who never sinned.

Prophets (with the exception of Jesus) to Christians according to the Bible are finite and inherited a sinful nature like the rest of mankind that separates them from God, and it took a perfect person to restore them back to fellowship with God only in the OT they had types and shadows of Christ. Catholics see more like Muslims do about saints and prophets. They act as if they are aloof, but the fact is what Jesus said, "The greatest among you will be your servant"
    According to my understanding of the Holy Scriptures believing prophets such as David, Moses, Jonah Jeremiah and so on are perfect and without sin is to commit the sin of idolatry which is a form of man worship. Jesus is the only exception because he was born without male intervention as the son of God. Jesus said to Philip: "If you have seen me you have seen God" He also said, "I and the father are one" We that this to mean they are one in character, essence and nature and at the same time Jesus on earth was less than God in function, office and position. We Christians know who Jesus is; We know He is god's word in human form. God with us as in Isaiah 7 Immanuel. The OT Bible is replete with prophecy pointing to Jesus Christ.
    Mods, when we I be able to post directly?

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    The Bible names at least 10 women prophetesses there were also other women who received messages from God that were considered seers.. God does not distinguish between men and women when it comes to receiving His message.

Why do you think Allah did not include at least one of the biblical prophetesses in the Quran? Seeing as you say Allah gave more rights to women in the Quran than they had in the Bible.

As you know, we do not see Prophets or apostles in the Bible as infallible... And there is reason for that.

God decreed roles for both men and women that were suited to their natures..so as to compliment each other and work together in unity to Gods will. God chooses those to relay His message to mankind according to whom He sees as most suitable.. YHWH values man and woman as equals in regards to this task.. Hence women Prophetesses.

Peace
    Islam honored women, and gave them all their rights, unlike the Bible, who insulted women and considered the property of the man

http://www.ebnmaryam.com/vb/t199811.html

1 - If the women in the Bible prophetess, why insulted Bible women?

2 - the source of sin how women carrying a message of the Lord?

3 - the status of the Prophet in the Bible is not good, you admitted that they commit outrageous

Is the status of the Prophet honored or inferiority?

Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Religion
    Christianity
    Last Activity
    08-12-2014
    At

Quote Originally Posted by شمائل View Post
    Islam honored women, and gave them all their rights, unlike the Bible, who insulted women and considered the property of the man

http://www.ebnmaryam.com/vb/t199811.html
    Well, that's fine if you wish to believe that women in Islam today have more freedoms than women in the Bible 2000 years ago.. However, it does not truly reflect the position of women today within Islam or Christianity does it? This is within the remit of your dialogue with Burninglight.. I have no wish to intrude upon that. It may be confusing for you.

1 - If the women in the Bible prophetess, why insulted Bible women?
    The Bible does not insult women.. It is only men who insult women. It's like in Islam where women may be considered equal but men actually call the shots and in most areas women come out the losers.. This has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with some followers of the religion.
    What do you mean "If" the women in the Bible were Prophetesses" ... There is no IF.. There were.. This is fact. The Old Testament recorded many women who held positions of authority as leaders, Prophets and Judges. Jesus also counted women among His followers as important as the men and did not distinguish between them in matters of intellect and spirituality.

2 - the source of sin how women carrying a message of the Lord?
    Women are NOT the source of sin. God did not create woman in Eve as sinful any more than God created men in Adam as sinful. The source of sin is Satan... Through His pride and jealously thinking he could be as God. Satan is the source of sin and deception. Eve was tempted into sin first.. But Adam was not blameless.. He was weak and went along with the deception.. They both had choice.. God has always allowed HIs creation the freedom of choice..Adam could have stood firm and obeyed Gods command but instead he chose to disobey God. The greatest of sin with the greatest of consequences. You would do well to think on Satan and his character and goals.. To misunderstand the nature of Satan is a serious error of judgement.

3 - the status of the Prophet in the Bible is not good, you admitted that they commit outrageous
    The status of the Prophets in the Bible is not only good, it is an honest representation of the nature of mankind.. Our strengths and weaknesses. We can see that even when we try our best we can fail.. As better people than us.. (Those chosen as Prophets) have sometimes failed. If they can fail and are in need of Gods mercy and forgiveness then how much greater is our need for Gods mercy and forgiveness? You see that a "perfect" prophet. Is a good example to learn from... How so? What is the lesson? For most people it is impossible to emulate or hope to achieve this level of perfection so before we start we are set to fail. I see it could also lead to complacency.. If I just pray harder and be like prophet A or B then I will be right before God. Wrong... Our journey to God is a personal one.. Our efforts have to be born of noble reasonings from within ourselves.. Of what God requires of us personally. Maybe you will not understand what I mean.. Because in Islam I do not see you have that freedom of worship or view your relationship with God in the same way Christians do.

Is the status of the Prophet honored or inferiority?
    I see the Bible prophets as honoured.. They were ordinary men and women chosen by God to do an extraordinary thing.. Be entrusted to relay His glorious plan to mankind. Sometimes they may have failed on a personal level.. Because like us, they are but sinners. However, in their failure their faith in God shone through and it's that faith that.. Knowing we need God in our lives more than God needs us, and having faith that God no matter how we fail or how we let Him down is always there for us. We just need to ask.

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
    On this point.. I was hoping you would not disappoint, and you did not. I somehow knew by mentioning women prophets in the Bible you would be duty bound to seek out a verse to show women prophets in a bad light... I knew you would pick this verse.. Yet, you do not understand its context or you would see it does nothing for your case here.

That woman Jezebel ... is an allusion to the history of Ahab and Jezebel, as given in 2 Kings 9:1-10:36. and although we do not know who THIS Jezebel was, we may take it for granted she was a woman of power and influence in Thyatira, who corrupted the true religion, and harassed the followers of God in that city, as Jezebel did in Israel. Jezebel came to a bad end..which had nothing to do with the fact she was a woman but she was a wicked person who led people away from the truth of God encouraging them into idolatry and licentiousness..

This is a warning of a false prophet. The Bible is full of warnings about false prophets and how to recognise them.. We are told false prophets will appear until the end times and we must always be upon our guard against them. I find it strange indeed that the Quran compels you to believe in all prophets.. And does not warn you that all prophets may not be from the One true God of the Bible... YHWH.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Peace.

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At

The Bible does not insult women.. It is only men who insult women. It's like in Islam where women may be considered equal but men actually call the shots and in most areas women come out the losers.. This has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with some followers of the religion.
    What do you mean "If" the women in the Bible were Prophetesses" ... There is no IF.. There were.. This is fact. The Old Testament recorded many women who held positions of authority as leaders, Prophets and Judges. Jesus also counted women among His followers as important as the men and did not distinguish between them in matters of intellect and spirituality.
    The Bible says the opposite, Return of the dialogue

The problem you are trying to justify and interpret the texts of the Bible is meant

Believes that others are stupid to believe anything that is said

There are mind distinguish him

The status of the Prophets in the Bible is not only good, it is an honest representation of the nature of mankind.. Our strengths and weaknesses. We can see that even when we try our best we can fail.. As better people than us.. (Those chosen as Prophets) have sometimes failed. If they can fail and are in need of Gods mercy and forgiveness then how much greater is our need for Gods mercy and forgiveness? You see that a "perfect" prophet. Is a good example to learn from... How so? What is the lesson? For most people it is impossible to emulate or hope to achieve this level of perfection so before we start we are set to fail. I see it could also lead to complacency.. If I just pray harder and be like prophet A or B then I will be right before God. Wrong... Our journey to God is a personal one.. Our efforts have to be born of noble reasonings from within ourselves.. Of what God requires of us personally. Maybe you will not understand what I mean.. Because in Islam I do not see you have that freedom of worship or view your relationship with God in the same way Christians do.

You must consider the subject on the other hand, how God chooses men liars to carry the teachings of the Lord

Today states choose the best representatives, worked as ambassadors to other countries

The Lord of Christians (promenade) chooses people practicing all sins, and that their mission is funny human and moral

it is an honest representation of the nature of mankind.
    We believe that human nature is good, not evil

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information