Did Jesus Claim to Be God in John 10.30?

آخـــر الـــمـــشـــاركــــات

مـواقـع شـقــيـقـة
شبكة الفرقان الإسلامية شبكة سبيل الإسلام شبكة كلمة سواء الدعوية منتديات حراس العقيدة
البشارة الإسلامية منتديات طريق الإيمان منتدى التوحيد مكتبة المهتدون
موقع الشيخ احمد ديدات تليفزيون الحقيقة شبكة برسوميات شبكة المسيح كلمة الله
غرفة الحوار الإسلامي المسيحي مكافح الشبهات شبكة الحقيقة الإسلامية موقع بشارة المسيح
شبكة البهائية فى الميزان شبكة الأحمدية فى الميزان مركز براهين شبكة ضد الإلحاد

يرجى عدم تناول موضوعات سياسية حتى لا تتعرض العضوية للحظر

Thread: Did Jesus Claim to Be God in John 10.30?

Religion
    Islam
    Last Activity
    17-04-2024
    At
    12:49 AM

Default Did Jesus Claim to Be God in John 10.30?

Ask most Christians who know the Bible, “Where does the Bible say Jesus claimed
    to be God?” and they’ll likely answer, “He said in John 10.30, ‘I and the Father are one.”
    But that is a far cry from saying, “I am God,” or the like. One is struck with the thought,
    “Is that the best evidence Christians can provide that Jesus claimed to be God? If so,
    perhaps he never made such a claim.”
    This is a very important issue for Christians. Most of them assert that a person must
    believe that Jesus is God in order to be a genuine Christian and thus possess salvation and
    the hope of eternal life. That’s what the institutional church has always insisted. But
    interpreting Jesus’ saying in John 10.30 as a claim to be God ignores its context.
    Jesus was attending the Feast of Dedication at the temple in Jerusalem. We read,
    “The Jews therefore gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, ‘How long will You
    keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.’” (John 10.24). Jesus
    responded by mentioning his marvelous works that he had been doing and how they
    testify to his intimate relationship with God (vv. 25-29).
    So, when Jesus then said that he and God the Father were “one,” he meant that they
    were unified, being in complete harmony regarding Jesus’ mission of doing good works
    and drawing disciples to himself. This is confirmed by Jesus’ so-called “high priestly
    prayer” he made the night he was betrayed and arrested. It, too, is recorded only in the
    Gospel of John. In anticipation of his crucifixion, death, resurrection, and ascension,
    Jesus prayed to the Father concerning his eleven apostles, “Holy Father, keep them in
    Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are”
    (John 17.11). And he soon added, “The glory which You have given Me I have given to
    them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may
    be perfected in unity” (vv. 22-23). So, Jesus asked the Father for the same oneness for
    himself and his apostles that he said, in John 10.30, he and the Father had. To say that
    “one,” there, means Jesus is God requires that it means the same here, which is ludicrous.
    Yet Jesus’ antagonistic listeners thought like many Christians later have, that he
    claimed to be God when he said he and the Father were “one.” When Jesus asked them
    why they were picking up stones to stone him to death (John 10.31), they replied, “For a
    good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make
    Yourself out to be God” (v. 33). That is, they thought Jesus was claiming to be God by
    declaring that he was “one” with God.
    The Roman Catholic Church’s prestigious Pontifical Biblical Commission rejects
    this common interpretation of John 10.30. In its very important and excellent document
    on Christology, Bible et christologie (1983), this elite group of twenty Catholic scholars
    allege that those who espouse classical (Nicene-Chalcedonian) Christology tend to be
    obstinate, “not being open” to critical investigation, resulting in their appeal to Scripture
    only defensively. These scholars chose venerable American Catholic Joseph A. Fitzmyer
    to produce a commentary on this document. In it he explains, “the Commission is
    pointing its critical finger at Catholic fundamentalism, often associated with this
    approach to Christology. An example of this sort of use of the NT would be the appeal to

Jn 10:30, ‘I and the Father are one,’ to establish the divinity of Christ.” Fitzmyer means
    that he and the commission members do not believe Jesus here claimed to be God.
    Jesus then asked his interrogators, “do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified
    and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?”
    (John 10.36). John A.T. Robinson insists that Jesus here made the following important
    points: (1) he implicitly denies the Jews’ allegation that he said he was God, (2) he
    distinguishes himself from God, and (3) he affirms his true identity as Son of God.
    Now, Jesus never went about declaring publicly that he was the Son of God. But he
    often implied it by calling God his “Father.” Until then, Jews had recognized their God
    Yahweh corporately as the father of the Jewish nation; yet individual Jews rarely or
    never had identified God personally as their father, as Jesus regularly did.
    Then Jesus clarified what he meant by him and the Father being one. He declared,
    “the Father is in Me, and I in the Father” (John 10.38). Later, Jesus affirmed it again by
    telling his apostles, “Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me” (14.11).
    Scholars call this concept “the Mutual Indwelling.” It clearly represents a disavowal
    that being one with God means that Jesus claims to be God. Rather, Jesus here affirms
    God-in-Christology as contrasted with the traditional, incarnational, Christ-is-God
    Christology that Christians later developed. The Apostle Paul explained half of this
    concept, “that God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself” (2 Corinthians 5.19).
    Jesus’ opponents seem to have accepted this clarification about being one with the
    Father, in which he denied claiming to be God, because they never brought this charge
    against him during the interrogation of him by the Jewish Sanhedrin (Council).
    In sum, when Jesus said, “I and the Father are one,” he did not mean that he and God
    the Father were one in essence, making himself God, but one relationally, resulting in a
    functional unity. If this brief saying of Jesus in John 10.30 is the best that traditionalists
    can muster to support their assertion that Jesus claimed to God, we can be pretty sure that
    Jesus never made such a claim.
    In my extensive book, The Restitution of Jesus Christ (2008), I devote ten pages to
    explaining what Jesus meant in John 10.30 when he said, “I and the Father are one.” And
    in doing so, I cite forty-four scholars and four church fathers.

servetustheevangelical.com
    Last edited by فداء الرسول; 04-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    نقره لتكبير أو تصغير الصورة ونقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة بحجمها الطبيعي

تحمَّلتُ وحديَ مـا لا أُطيـقْ من الإغترابِ وهَـمِّ الطريـقْ
    اللهم اني اسالك في هذه الساعة ان كانت جوليان في سرور فزدها في سرورها ومن نعيمك عليها . وان كانت جوليان في عذاب فنجها من عذابك وانت الغني الحميد برحمتك يا ارحم الراحمين

Thread Information