Quote Originally Posted by M.Khaled View Post
Especially when I see that the Bible is dealing with Ishmael who is 16 years old as baby and I see a clear inconsistency as expressed here, you haven't addressed this till now by the way:
http://jesus-is-muslim.net/corruptio...-son-to-isaac/
M.Khaled, your article is quite long... I did not realise I am expected to address everything!!! :) how do you arrive at the conclusion the Bible portrays Ishmael as a baby? He is clearly at least 16 possibly 17. Look at the verse in question...

8 The child grew and was weaned, and on the day Isaac was weaned Abraham held a great feast. 9 But Sarah saw that the son whom Hagar the Egyptian had borne to Abraham was mocking, 10 and she said to Abraham, “Get rid of that slave woman and her son, for that woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with my son Isaac.”

11 The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son. 12 But God said to him, “Do not be so distressed about the boy and your slave woman. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned. 13 I will make the son of the slave into a nation also, because he is your offspring.”

14 Early the next morning Abraham took some food and a skin of water and gave them to Hagar. He set them on her shoulders and then sent her off with the boy. She went on her way and wandered in the Desert of Beersheba.

15 When the water in the skin was gone, she put the boy under one of the bushes. 16 Then she went off and sat down about a bowshot away, for she thought, “I cannot watch the boy die.” And as she sat there, she began to sob.

17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

Point 1 Abraham and Hagar never married.. On that basis Isaac was at that time Abrahams only legitimate son. Although Ishmael was still of Abrahams seed. The child of promise according to God was through the union of Abraham and Sarah. The Quran does not deny this.. And it does not confirm Hagar's standing.

Point 2 Abraham was clearly distressed at being asked to send them away, as he was obviously fond of Ishmael. Yet he bowed to Sarah's demands because firstly Hagar had no other claim on him but as Sarah's maid servant.. And secondly God reassured Abraham that he should not be distressed about it. God had other plans for Ishmael.

Point 3 the food and water was put on Hagar's shoulders and she and Ishmael were sent off. Now, I know you feel that some translations may imply that Ishmael was also put on Hagar's shoulders as well as the food and water. Now she may have been strong but to carry food and water was task enough without carrying the weight of a 16 year old.. Even if boys of that age may have been smaller in stature then.. It was still a big ask.. There are many pointers as to why this was not likely.. No woman would ever have carried a child on her shoulders. Maybe on her hip or more likely on her back as children are still carried thus today. Tho not 16 year olds.. ;) be honest.. How many women do you see carrying their children around on there shoulder?

Point 4.. Put the boy under bushes.. Not out of the question.. She could have suggested he sit there out of the sun, or even pushed him under the bushes. Mothers will always put their children's needs first.

Point 5. God recognises Hagar's distress and tells her to lift up the boy and take him by the hand ... To pull him up from his sitting position from under the bushes? Well.. Take one by the hand seems a reasonable way to achieve this.
Then we have God repeating the promise He made to Abraham that he would bless Ishmael and make him into a great nation. It ought to be said that there is nothing to suggest that Abraham had shared this knowledge with Hagar before sending them both away. Another reason to suppose Hagar did not share the status of a wife... But as His wife's maidservant Abraham did not feel obliged to give any explanation of his actions.
If you don't mind I will address your other points raised in your post later.... :)
Peace

[/QUOTE]