I am a new Muslim and I wanted to ask how do I properly perform the five daily prayers, taking into consideration that I am not good in Arabic and may I read the prayers in my own language?

This answer was kindly provided by Brother Maan Khalife, a member of Ask About Islam Editorial Staff.

Salam dear brother,
Thank you for your question and for contacting Ask About Islam.
Welcome to Islam and may Allah keep you steadfast on His religion.
The easiest way to perform salah (Islamic prayer) is for someone to show you how. I have included below a short version of the salah. This initially includes the different postures and then details of what to say during each.

The postures during the prayer are:

1. Standing upright facing Qiblah (the Kaaba in Makkah) with hands on the chest or upper belly (right hand over left) and eyes looking at the prostration spot.
2. Bowing: Your arms straight with hands on knees making your back straight as well and body perpendicular to the ground forming a 90 degree angle with your body.
3. Sitting: Your knees in front of you with your feet supporting your behind and palms on your thighs just above the knees.
4. Prostrating: From sitting position above, you put your palms on the ground perpendicular to your shoulders and forehead on the ground. The other body parts that must touch the ground are nose and ball of your feet, which should remain steady on the ground; do not raise them in the air.

Knowing the positions, the prayer becomes easy. Each rakaat or unit of prayer is the same, so it is sufficient to explain how to perform one rakaat.

While Standing:
1a. Raise your hands and say Allahu Akbar, Allah is greater (than anyone and anything).
2a. Read surah Al-Fatiha, the opening chapter of the Quran, if you know any other small surah, you may recite it after reading Al-Fatiha.
3a. Say Allahu Akbar again and go in bowing position

While Bowing:
1b. Recite three times, "Subhana Rabbiyal Adheem" (Glory to my Lord, Most Great).
2b. Stand straight again and recite "Sam'i Allahu Liman Hamidah" (God hears those who call upon Him).
3b. Say Allahu Akbar again and go in prostrating position

While Prostrating:
1c. Recite three times, "Subhana Rabbiyal A'ala" (Glory to my Lord, Most High).
2c. Go to sitting position for few seconds then prostrate again and repeat step 1c above.
3c. Go back to standing position if this is not the second and/or final rakaat.

In conclusion a rakaat has one bowing and two prostrations so if you have to prayFajr (morning) prayer which is two rakaat, you repeat the above nine steps twice. The only remaining difference will be during the second and/or final rakaat. Instead of standing back up again, you go back to sitting position and recite the following; this is called tashahhud (bearing witness):

Assalamu alaika ayyuha nabi wa rahmatullahi wabarakatuh, assalamu alaina wa ala ibadil-lahi saleheen. Ashahadu alla ilaha il-Allah wa ashahadu ana Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh

Meaning:
Peace and blessings be upon you O Prophet, and peace be upon us and all pious servants of Allah. I bear witness that their no god worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is his servant and messenger

The above is recited during the second and final rakaat. So if you are prayingmaghrib or sunset prayer, you will say it during the second and third rakaat sincemaghrib prayer is only three rakaats. During zuhr (noon), asr (afternoon), and isha(evening) prayers, you will say it during the second and fourth rakaat since they all consist of four rakaats.
Note also that reading during the prayers is uttered aloud except for zuhr and asrthat are silent. Please read: When Is Individual Prayer Aloud or Silent?
During the last and final rakaat, you turn your head toward the right and recite:Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah (Peace and blessings be upon you) then turn your head to your left and say the same thing. This is greeting the angels and people on your right and left; this concludes the salah. So you may move and talk to people as you please otherwise during the prayer, you may not talk to anyone or move in a way that is different to what was described above.

If this is the second but not the final rakaat, you read the above and stand up again to complete one rakaat as in the case of maghrib (sunset) prayer or two rakaats as in the case of zuhr (noon), asr (afternoon), and isha (evening) prayers.

This is a short version of the prayer, as you learn more you may add to it what you learned. However, this is complete and does not diminish your reward to the least.

Also do not forget to make Du'a or supplicate to Allah, especially after salah. This can be done anytime and in any language; it is also highly recommended during sujud(prostration). It is basically to sincerely ask Allah for whatever you wish, especially to continue guiding you and to guide your family and the rest of humanity to IslamInsha'Allah (God willing).

You may say the five daily prayers in your own language until you learn the Arabic. However, what I suggest for you to do is write the Arabic transliteration on a piece of paper and read it while praying. Eventually, you will memorize it. Use the minimum version above and do not overburden yourself with a detailed version until you learn the one above.In congregation, you just follow the imam (prayer leader). For the time being, you don't have to say anything but once you learn, you may utter the words in your heart or by moving your lips silently.
When the imam is reading anything, you need to listen to what he is saying and don’t attempt to read with him. This is based on the following prophetic tradition; It was narrated that Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari said:
“The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: ‘When the Imam recites, then listen attentively, and if he is sitting (in the prayer) then the first remembrance that anyone of you recites should be the Tashahhud.’” (Ibn Majah)

Also, there is a minor variation when praying in congregation. When the imamstraightens his body from bowing, the followers will say: “Samia’l-lahu liman hamidah”. This is based on the following hadith; ‘Amir (may Allah be pleased with him) said:The people behind the imam should not say: “Allah listens to him who praises Him.” But they should say: “Our Lord, to Thee be praise.” (Abu Dawud)
Please refer to the following website for a visual explanation on how to pray: How Do I Pray? A Beginners Guide to Islamic Prayer

I hope this helps answer your question.

Salam and please keep in touch.